2016 – MX-5 – Body and Accessories
1. Rotate the plate nuts by hand in the direction of the arrow shown in the figure until they are seated.
After removing the dashboard, the plate nuts of the member junctions will have loosened. If the dashboard is installed with the plate nuts loosened, the plate nuts may contact the vehicle body, causing a dent or damage to the coating film, and the dashboard installation will be difficult. Before inserting the dashboard into the cabin, seat the plate nuts of the member junctions.
If the plate nuts are tightened excessively, the plate nuts may not move when installing the bolts, resulting in damage to the dashboard frame and the vehicle body. After seating the plate nuts, verify that they can be loosened by hand.
If the plate nuts cannot be rotated by hand, loosen the plate nuts using a hexagonal wrench.
2. Verify that the member junction tabs are engaged to the dashboard.
After inserting the dashboard into the cabin, verify that the member junctions are engaged with the dashboard. Otherwise, the member junction may become disengaged from the dashboard frame.
3. Insert the dashboard from the front driver-side door or front passenger-side door opening.
4. Align the dashboard with the guide pins on the vehicle body side and mount the dashboard.
Visually verify the installation condition of the guide pins on the vehicle body sides and the dashboard from the position shown in the figure.
5. Insert the bolts on the passenger-side.
Do not insert the bolts forcefully and do not rotate them.
Tighten the bolts to the specified torque after positioning the member junction.
6. Temporarily tighten the bolts on the driver-side until they are seated.
7. Temporarily tighten the bolts on the passenger-side until they are seated.
After bolts are seated, rotate the plate nuts of the member junctions and visually inspect them from the lower side of the dashboard on the passenger-side to verify that they emerge in the direction of the body panels.
8. Tighten the bolts on the driver-side to the specified torque and install the caps.
9. Tighten the bolts on the passenger-side to the specified torque and install the caps.
10. Remove the tape secured to the cooling duct.
11. Install the dashboard bracket.
12. Install the bolts and the nuts.
13. Connect the connectors and install the wiring harness clips.
14. Insert your hand into the opening in the back trim and connect the connector.
15. Install the harness clip.
16. Install the fasteners.
17. Install the tire house trim. (See TIRE HOUSE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
18. Connect the dashboard harness connectors.
19. Install the steering column nuts. (See. STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION)
20. Install the wiring harness clips and connect the connectors installed on the steering column.
21. Install the duct.
22. Install the following parts:
a. Center display (with center display) (See CENTER DISPLAY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
b. Audio unit (without center display) (See AUDIO UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
c. Climate control unit (See CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [FULL-AUTO AIR CONDITIONER].) (See CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [MANUAL AIR CONDITIONER].)
d. Center panel No.1 (See CENTER PANEL No.1 REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
e. Knee bolster (See KNEE BOLSTER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
f. Driver-side lower panel (See DRIVER-SIDE LOWER PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
g. Hood release lever (See HOOD RELEASE LEVER AND RELEASE CABLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
h. Instrument cluster (See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
i. Meter hood (See METER HOOD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
k. Light switch (See LIGHT SWITCH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
l. Wiper and washer switch (See WIPER AND WASHER SWITCH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
m. Lower column cover (See COLUMN COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
n. Upper column cover (See COLUMN COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
o. Steering wheel (See STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
p. Driver-side air bag module (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE REMOVAL [TWO-STEP DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE INSTALLATION [TWO-STEP DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE REMOVAL [STANDARD DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE INSTALLATION [STANDARD DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].)
q. Center panel No.2 (See CENTER PANEL No.2 REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
r. Passenger-side lower panel (See PASSENGER-SIDE LOWER PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
s. A-pillar trim (See A-PILLAR TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
t. Front side trim (See FRONT SIDE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
u. Scuff plate (See SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
v. Front console component (See FRONT CONSOLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
w. Front console panel (See FRONT CONSOLE PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
x. Rear console (See REAR CONSOLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
y. Parking brake lever boot panel (See PARKING BRAKE LEVER BOOT PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
z. Upper panel (See UPPER PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
aa. Shift panel component (See SHIFT PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
ab. Shift lever knob (MT)
ac. Selector lever knob (AT) (See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT MECHANISM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
23. Close the convertible top.
24. Connect the negative battery cable. (See NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION.)