2016 – MX-5 – Body and Accessories
Handling the driver-side air bag module improperly can accidentally operate (deploy) the air bag module, which may seriously injure you.Read the SRS air bag system service warnings and cautions before handling the air bag module. (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE WARNINGS [TWO-STEP DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE CAUTIONS [TWO-STEP DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE WARNINGS [STANDARD DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See AIR BAG SYSTEM SERVICE CAUTIONS [STANDARD DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].)
1. Open the convertible top.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait for 1 min or more. (See NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE DISCONNECTION/CONNECTION.)
3. Remove the following parts:
a. Selector lever knob (AT) (See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT MECHANISM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
b. Shift lever knob (MT)
c. Shift panel component (See SHIFT PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
d. Upper panel (See UPPER PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
e. Parking brake lever boot panel (See PARKING BRAKE LEVER BOOT PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
f. Rear console (See REAR CONSOLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
g. Front console panel (See FRONT CONSOLE PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
h. Front console component (See FRONT CONSOLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
i. Scuff plate (See SCUFF PLATE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
j. Front side trim (See FRONT SIDE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
k. A-pillar trim (See A-PILLAR TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
l. Passenger-side lower panel (See PASSENGER-SIDE LOWER PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
m. Center panel No.2 (See CENTER PANEL No.2 REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
n. Driver-side air bag module (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE REMOVAL [TWO-STEP DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE INSTALLATION [TWO-STEP DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE REMOVAL [STANDARD DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].) (See DRIVER-SIDE AIR BAG MODULE INSTALLATION [STANDARD DEPLOYMENT CONTROL SYSTEM].)
o. Steering wheel (See STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
p. Upper column cover (See COLUMN COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
q. Lower column cover (See COLUMN COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
r. Wiper and washer switch (See WIPER AND WASHER SWITCH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
s. Light switch (See LIGHT SWITCH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
u. Meter hood (See METER HOOD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
v. Instrument cluster (See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
w. Hood release lever (See HOOD RELEASE LEVER AND RELEASE CABLE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
x. Driver-side lower panel (See DRIVER-SIDE LOWER PANEL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
y. Knee bolster (See KNEE BOLSTER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
z. Center panel No.1 (See CENTER PANEL No.1 REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
aa. Climate control unit (See CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [FULL-AUTO AIR CONDITIONER].) (See CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [MANUAL AIR CONDITIONER].)
ab. Audio unit (without center display) (See AUDIO UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
ac. Center display (with center display) (See CENTER DISPLAY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
4. Remove the duct.
5. Remove the wiring harness clips and disconnect the connectors installed on the steering column component.
6. Remove the steering column nuts and place the steering column component on the floor. (See STEERING WHEEL AND COLUMN REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
7. Disconnect the dashboard harness connectors.
8. Remove the tire house trim. (See TIRE HOUSE TRIM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.)
9. Remove the fasteners.
10. Insert your hand into the opening in the back trim and disconnect the connector.
11. Remove the wiring harness clip.
12. Disconnect the connectors and remove the wiring harness clips.
Secure the disconnected wiring harness to the dashboard using tape.
13. Remove the bolts and the nuts.
14. Remove the dashboard bracket.
15. Remove the caps and the bolts.
The bolts in the position shown in the figure cannot be removed completely because they contact the door. If the door is closed with the bolts sticking out, it may cause a dent or damage to the coating film. After taking out the dashboard from the cabin, secure the removed bolts to the vehicle body using tape so that they do not stick out.
16. Secure the cooling duct to the dashboard frame using tape.
17. Move the dashboard in the direction of the arrow in the order of (1), (2) shown in the figure, then remove the guide pin.
18. While rotating the dashboard in the direction shown in the figure, pull it out toward the vehicle???s rear side.
19. Take the dashboard off from the front driver-side door or front passenger-side door opening.